GREAT FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!
The New York Sheep and Wool Festival has something for everyone! In addition to walking around to admire the different breeds of animals, families can also participate in these activities.
Please check the schedule to view times for the following:
Susanna Leonard Hill
Bldg B "Tales of Yarn"
Susanna Leonard Hill is the award winning author of nearly a dozen books for children, including Punxsutawney Phyllis (A Book List Children’s Pick and Amelia Bloomer Project choice), No Sword Fighting In The House (a Junior Library Guild selection), Can’t Sleep Without Sheep (a Children’s Book of the Month), and Not Yet, Rose (a Gold Mom’s Choice Award Winner.) Her books have been translated into French, Dutch, German, and Japanese, with one hopefully forthcoming in Korean. She lives in New York’s Mid-Hudson Valley with her husband, children, and two rescue dogs. Visit her at www.susannahill.com or on her blog at http://susannahill.blogspot.com
Whenever Ava can't sleep, she counts sheep. But Ava takes so long to fall asleep, it's the sheep that are growing tired - until they finally quit! When the sheep promise to find a replacement that Ava can count on, chaos ensues as chickens, cows, pigs, hippos and more try their hand at jumping over Ava's fence. Finding the perfectly peaceful replacement for sheep might not be so easy after all.
With irresistibly adorable art, this delightful take on a familiar sleep tactic is sure to become a bedtime favorite.
Sat. & Sun. 12:30pm-1pm
Bldg B "Tales of Yarn"
Nancy Shaw is the author of Sheep in a Jeep, Sheep on a Ship, Sheep in Shop, Sheep Out to Eat, Sheep Take a Hike (set near Sheep's Heaven Mountain in the Berkshires), Sheep Trick or Treat, and Sheep Blast Off!, all illustrated by Margot Apple and published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Her work has received the Parents' Choice Award, the Parenting magazine Reading Magic Award, Parents magazine Best Kids' Books of the Year listings, School Library Journal Best Books of the Year listings, and the Horn Book Fanfare citation. Elena's Story, about a Guatemalan girl, is her latest book. She lives in Ann Arbor, Michigan. nancyshawbooks.com/about.html.
Bldg B "Tales of Yarn"
Iza Trapani was just seven years old when she and her mother left Warsaw, Poland, for the United States. An award-winning writer and illustrator, Trapani's work has been featured on PBS Storytime and at the White House Easter Egg Roll. She also received the Rip Van Winkle Award, presented by the School Library Media Specialists of Southeastern New York, for her contribution to children's literature. Her bestselling book, The Itsy-Bitsy Spider, has sold over one million copies. www.izatrapani.com
Poor little Miss Muffet. She just can't seem to catch a break! All she wants to do is eat her curds and whey in peace. But, when a rather terrifying spider appears, she desperately scurries away. Frantically searching for some much-needed solace, she ventures outside, only to be startled by a vivacious frog, a squawking crow, and easily the largest moose ever seen! What else could she possibly encounter outside? And will she ever get back to the safety of her tuffet? Rediscover this adored, classic nursery rhyme with delightfully charming illustrations by acclaimed author and illustrator Iza Trapani1 Incorporating all the directional words kids need to learn early on in this silly story, Trapani creates a wonderful rendition of a perennial favorite that's sure to have kids hoping for the little miss to find a safe space from all those fearful creatures.
Herding Dog Demonstrations -Please check the schedule of events for times.
Steve Charney & Harry - Magic, Music & Ventriloquism (Bldg. E Overhang/ Location F on Map) - Saturday and Sunday
- Sheve Charney & Harry will be preforming 6 times over the weekend with their fantiastic magic, great sounding music and just an awsome display of ventriloquism. It is a definate must see!
Canine Frisbee Demonstration (Area 7) - Saturday and Sunday
- Get out of the sun, sit and watch these incredible canines catch, fetch and do great tricks with frisbees.
Mad Science Show (Bldg. E Overhang/Location F on Map) - Saturday and Sunday
- Mad Science is the worlds leading science enrichment provider, delivering unique, hands-on science experiences for children that are as entertaining as they are educational. In addition to their 11am and 2pm shows daily, they are introducing a new experience to children this year - choose an oyster, open the oyster and find a pearl! This actuivity takes place all day Saturday and Sunday.
- The Mad Science team will also be operating a "Panning of Gems" activity area, where kids can select a bag of "mine rough", dump it into a screen, and pan out all the dirt in a cluice to find the minerals - which they can keep!
Leaping Lama Contest (Bldg. 34) - Sunday Only
- Come see these 6 foot lamas challenge each other and defy gravity! Who will leap the hightest? Who will take home the first place ribbon? You can not miss this example of sportsmanship!
Pumpkin Chuckin Contest NOT HAPPENING in 2013
The following activities take place all day on Saturday and Sunday:
- Two by Two Zoo
- Pumpkin Patch
- Make a Scarecrow
- John Hardemans Farm Market and Pumpkin Painting
All photos on this page were taken by Garret C. Lown at the 2008 Festival.